Sunday, November 11, 2012

November 11 (1 Timothy 4:7-8)

Have nothing to do with godless myths and old wives’ tales; rather, train yourself to be godly.  For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for both the present life and the life to come.  (NIV)
Let us be quite clear.  Being godly is not natural.  It was once, but after that whole incident in the garden with Adam and Eve, things changed.  We may like to think that we are good people, but if we want to have any hope of that being true, we have some work to do.
The most natural thing in the world for me is to do what I want to do.  That is my default mode of living.  I have to make a conscious effort to not eat that fifth slice of pizza or to go to bed instead of watching a movie I have already seen countless times.  The same is true in my training for godliness.  I must choose each morning to read Scripture before preparing for my day.  I must choose to go to church, even when I do not feel like it.  I must choose to give of my time and my money to serve the purposes of God.
What is your training regimen?  Is the reading of Scripture a part of your daily life?  Do words of praise regularly come to your lips?  What would a look at your checkbook and calendar reveal about your life?  No matter where we are in our training for godliness, we must keep up the good work.  If we truly love our Lord, we will want to be like Him, and that takes work.
Father, thank You for Your grace for the times when I grow slack in my training to be like You.  Keep me on the right path, that one day You may say of me as You did Jesus, “This is my beloved child in whom I am well pleased.”  In the name of my Lord, Jesus, I pray.  Amen. 

Copyright © 2012 by Steven R. Perkins

No comments:

Post a Comment

While I welcome comments, even those that disagree with something I have written, I will delete any comment that is profane, vulgar, threatening, or in poor taste.