Sunday, October 19, 2014

October 19 (Romans 1:16)

For I am not ashamed of the gospel, for it is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes….  (ESV)

It is a simple story, really.  God loved the people He made in His image so much that He sent His Son, Jesus, to them.  Jesus revealed the true nature of God and went on to stand in the gap between life and death for us by dying in our place.  He rose again to prepare a place for us with God our Father.  Oh, and He sent the Holy Spirit to live within us, reminding us of all this and constantly redirecting us to Him.  What is there to be ashamed about in a story like that?

“Well, you just don’t understand.  I have co-workers who aren’t religious.  Some of my relatives have been hurt by the church.  Who am I to say that my private faith has to apply to everyone?  I don’t want to push my religion off on someone else.”

Sigh.

Lord Jesus, do not let me get caught up, swept in, and pulled under by misguided human reasoning.  Help me remember the simple, yet world-transforming power of the gospel.  May my life and my words at every moment of every day in every situation with every person I meet reflect the love of God that You have shown me.  Amen.

Copyright © 2014 by Steven R. Perkins

No comments:

Post a Comment

While I welcome comments, even those that disagree with something I have written, I will delete any comment that is profane, vulgar, threatening, or in poor taste.