Sunday, January 11, 2015

January 11 (Romans 5:8)

[B]ut God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.  (ESV)

Our neighbors, who have already moved and are in the process of selling their house, asked our son to shovel their snowy driveway before an upcoming open house.  In the wee hours of the morning, however, he became quite ill, prompting a trip to the ER.  Later that morning, as he slept, I shoveled our neighbor’s driveway.

As I fought the snow and cold, I thought about why I was doing it, and the answer was simple.  Our son had an obligation that he could not fulfill.  Because of my love for him, it never crossed my mind to do other than I did.

You know where this is going.  All of us are ill with the sickness of sin.  We cannot possibly fulfill the obligation of perfection we owe our perfect God, nor can we pay the penalty for falling short.  God loves His children so much that for Him there was no other choice and no second thought.  He would pay the price and do what it took to perfect us.

Lord, the simple truth of Your love is too much for me to comprehend.  I mean it.  I really cannot grasp the magnitude of what You have done for me through Jesus.  All I can do is acknowledge it and hope that I can live in a way that shows You my thanks.  Amen.

Copyright © 2015 by Steven R. Perkins

No comments:

Post a Comment

While I welcome comments, even those that disagree with something I have written, I will delete any comment that is profane, vulgar, threatening, or in poor taste.