Sunday, March 27, 2016

Living the Alleluia

March 27 (1 Peter 2:24)


He himself bore our sins in his body on the tree, that we might die to sin and live to righteousness. By his wounds you have been healed.  (ESV)


Christ the Lord is risen today!  Alleluia!  But why?  Why alleluia?  Why the celebration, the triumphant music, the unbridled joy?  We may have some family gatherings, but they are nothing like Christmas.  Familiar chocolate candies are wrapped in pastel colors, but there are no weeks of parties and vibrant decorations on and in businesses and homes.  Why alleluia?  What is so special about Easter?

Easter changed nature itself.  Death, the undeniable and unavoidable common experience of all living things, was stripped of its power when Jesus left the tomb.  You and I deserve to die.  Not only was death the destiny of all human beings, but we deserved to be separated from God forever because of our sins.  Yet Jesus took each and every sin of yours and mine with Him to the cross and left them in the grave when He walked out that Sunday morning.

So what does alleluia look like?  Is it tiny chocolates in pastel foil?  Jesus died so that we might live to righteousness.  Our greatest and best act of celebration is to live fully and richly, not in any way we choose as if our will and our rights were still paramount, but in the way of our risen Lord.  Christ the Lord is risen today!  May my life be the alleluia!

With all that I am and all that I have, I praise You God, one Lord, Father, Son, and Holy Spirit!  Glory to You forever in all that I say and do!  Thank You for the immeasurable gift of love and grace and forgiveness in Jesus!  I accept it, all of it, and give it back to You in my life, lived to righteousness.  Amen.


Copyright © 2016 by Steven R. Perkins

No comments:

Post a Comment

While I welcome comments, even those that disagree with something I have written, I will delete any comment that is profane, vulgar, threatening, or in poor taste.