Sunday, June 19, 2016

Seeking Jesus

June 19 (Song of Solomon 3:1-4)


On my bed by nightI sought him whom my soul loves;    

I sought him, but found him not.

I will rise now and go about the city,   

 in the streets and in the squares;

I will seek him whom my soul loves.   

 I sought him, but found him not.

The watchmen found me

 as they went about in the city.

“Have you seen him whom my soul loves?”

Scarcely had I passed them    

when I found him whom my soul loves.

I held him, and would not let him go    

until I had brought him into my mother's house,    

and into the chamber of her who conceived me.  (ESV)


Full-blown, 21st century, First World disaster recently struck our family.  We lost cell and Internet service in our part of town.  I was scrambling with frustration and anxiety as if the flood waters were rising.  A quick trip to Wal-Mart secured a cheap phone for our old land line as a backup so relatives could reach us.  A visit to McDonald’s allowed me to send emails and alert others that we would be riding out the storm.  Yet even in the midst of this modern nightmare, I could not help thinking.  Do I seek God with such passion when I lose communication with Him?

I love this beautiful passage of poetry from Song of Solomon.  A young woman desires her beloved but cannot find him, so she goes out to look for him.  She keeps on searching, even asking others if they have seen him, and when she finally does find him, she embraces him and will not let him go.

In addition to being a delightful love poem, these verses show us the model of love between us and Jesus.  We must seek Him, and as He promises us in Jeremiah 29:13, we will find Him.  Which would truly upset your life more, down Internet or distance from God?


Jesus, may I always seek You more than any other thing.  May I pursue Your wisdom more than any other knowledge.  May I yearn for and seek an ever deeper relationship with You than with any other person I know.  And when I have found You, as You promise I will, may I never let You go.  Amen.


Copyright © 2016 by Steven R. Perkins

No comments:

Post a Comment

While I welcome comments, even those that disagree with something I have written, I will delete any comment that is profane, vulgar, threatening, or in poor taste.