Sunday, August 14, 2016

Letting God Work In You

August 14 (Ezekiel 2:1-2)


And he said to me, “Son of man, stand on your feet, and I will speak with you.”  And as he spoke to me, the Spirit entered into me and set me on my feet, and I heard him speaking to me.  (ESV)


I imagine that if you heard God telling you to stand up, you would stand up, but that is not what happened with Ezekiel.  God told him to stand up and then God put him on his feet.  Notice that as God was speaking, the Holy Spirit entered him and accomplished God’s will.

This passage is like an oasis in the desert for those who are driven, high-energy, do everything all the time people.  God calls us to do this or that and then very often is quite willing to do that very thing through us.  Too often we hear a call from God, whether through Scripture or through a direct word in prayer or through someone else, and think to ourselves that it is too much, that it is just one more thing we have to do in an already burdened life.  Instead, God may simply be waiting to see if we will respond in the words of Mary, the mother of Jesus, “Let it be to me according to your word.”  (Luke 1:38)

What has God called you to do?  What have you put off because you thought it was beyond your means to accomplish?  It likely was indeed beyond your means, and that is why God is pleased to do it Himself through you.


Lord, I thank You for the gifts and abilities You have given me.  At the same time I want to stop relying on those gifts and abilities and rely directly on You.  Do with me and through me whatever You please.  In the name of my Savior, Jesus, Who modeled the perfect life of surrender, amen.


Copyright © 2016 by Steven R. Perkins

No comments:

Post a Comment

While I welcome comments, even those that disagree with something I have written, I will delete any comment that is profane, vulgar, threatening, or in poor taste.