Sunday, January 21, 2018

Focusing On God

January 21 (John 21:21-22)


When Peter saw him, he said to Jesus, “Lord, what about this man?” Jesus said to him, “If it is my will that he remain until I come, what is that to you? You follow me!”  (ESV)


You want guidance from God, but can’t seem to hear His voice.  You want to believe in His promises, but struggle do so.  Do you want to know why?  It’s because you have every noisemaker in your soul turned up to full volume.  Think about it.  How many times does someone in your family complain that someone else is not listening?  How can they with the TV, radio, and computer blaring?

One of the loudest and most distracting noises for me is the voice that says, “What about this man?”  It is the voice that draws my attention to what someone else has and makes me question God’s provision for me.  It is the voice that calls out the suffering of others and makes me doubt God’s love.  I absolutely love how Jesus responded when Peter was distracted by that same voice.  “What is that to you?  You follow me!”

God constantly snaps His fingers as if we were fidgety children in class.  It is as if He is pointing at his eyes and saying, “Hey!  Over here!  Pay attention!”  If you want to hear from Him, if you want to live a life built on solid trust in His promises, You have to stop looking at this and listening to that.  You must regularly shut out the world and focus on Him.


Lord, You know I love You, but You also know how easily distracted I can become.  Help me develop habits of stillness that will allow me to focus on You.  In the name of Jesus, Who kept His eyes on You even while hanging on the cross, amen.


Copyright © 2018 by Steven R. Perkins

No comments:

Post a Comment

While I welcome comments, even those that disagree with something I have written, I will delete any comment that is profane, vulgar, threatening, or in poor taste.