Sunday, October 13, 2013

October 13 (Galatians 1:6)

I am astonished that you are so quickly deserting him who called you in the grace of Christ and are turning to a different gospel—  (ESV)

I must be an Israelite.  I can experience the love of God in the most direct and wonderful way, and then question whether He really loves me the very next moment.  I can see His hand of provision, and then wonder whether He cares for me.  I can feel His strength guiding and supporting me, and then I try to go it alone.  It is the familiar pattern of the Israelites throughout the Old Testament.

Actually, it is not so much that I am an Israelite, but that the Israelites and I are all human, and so are you.  There is not one of us who experiences a powerful worship service, a divine moment during private devotions, or something surprisingly transcendent in the midst of the ordinary who then does not go right back to business as usual, a way of life filled with fear and our own attempts to make things right.

If that describes you, and it does, if you are honest, then try this as a first step.  Stop beating yourself up over it.  Amnesia is part of the fallen human condition.  We all forget the glories we have tasted.  We are all, as one old hymn puts it, prone to leave the God we love.  Our Father knows this and still loves us.  His arms are always open to receive us back.  His Spirit is always there guiding us toward home.

Father, just for today, keep me close to You.  I do not want to drift, to wander, to forget.  I will pray this prayer again tomorrow.  In the name of Jesus, amen.
Copyright © 2013 by Steven R. Perkins

No comments:

Post a Comment

While I welcome comments, even those that disagree with something I have written, I will delete any comment that is profane, vulgar, threatening, or in poor taste.