Sunday, May 4, 2014

May 4 (Mark 8:46)

For what does it profit a man to gain the whole world and forfeit his soul?  (ESV)

Last week I met with a United States Senator and Congresswoman and shook the hand of the President in the White House.  I was in rooms where history has been made.  I spoke with policy makers and those who advise the President on matters of education.  Yet all that is nothing if I do not have a relationship with God through Jesus Christ.

A friend of mine is running for office in another state.  We talked about how easy it is even for those with the best intentions to become swayed by power and the influence of others once elected.  A person dare not approach such leadership without being firmly grounded in Christ.

My family and I had wonderful experiences last week in our nation’s capital.  We made memories I hope never to forget.  Yet when we came home, our children were eager to go to church, and I was excited to shepherd my small group of 4th and 5th grade boys.  The lesson was on the Trinity, and I could not wait to explore it with them.  God provides for us many opportunities to enjoy this life, but we must never forget in the midst of our greatest earthly celebrations, that we serve a King far greater than any we can imagine, and He has a true celebration in store for us the likes of which we cannot conceive.


O Lord, I bow before You in humble adoration.  May the words of my mouth and the meditations of my heart always bring You joy and honor.  You are my King.  In the name of my risen Savior, Christ Jesus, I pray.  Amen.

Copyright © 2014 by Steven R. Perkins

No comments:

Post a Comment

While I welcome comments, even those that disagree with something I have written, I will delete any comment that is profane, vulgar, threatening, or in poor taste.