Sunday, August 27, 2017

Waiting For Jesus

August 27 (Matthew 1:1)


The book of the genealogy of Jesus Christ, the son of David, the son of Abraham.  (ESV)


The lights went down in the theatre and the opening of the movie burst onto the screen.  You had seen teasers and trailers for months, had read all the fan sites, and now could hardly contain yourself as the moment finally revealed itself.  The excitement and anticipation were palpable.

That is how it felt when, just a few days ago, I read the words of Matthew 1:1.  I had been reading through the Bible since January using a fantastic app called Read Scripture (http://www.readscripture.org/).  For nearly eight full months I had been in the Old Testament, and while it was the story of God and there was much to learn and be blessed by, I have to admit I could hardly wait to get to Jesus.  Yes, the Old Testament is about Him, too, for He is God, but as for the human beings in the story….  There was only so much of honor-serve-rebel-fall away-repent-honor-serve-rebel-fall away-repent I could take.  Would we humans never get it right and keep it right?  I found myself longing for Jesus as never before.  Knowing the end of the story, I could hardly wait to get to His redemptive chapter.

Do you long for Him?  Do you desire Him above everything?  If you heard He was coming to a town near you or thousands of miles away, would you drop it all and run to Him?  Whether I am alive on earth when He returns or called out of my grave, there is one thing I know.  I simply cannot wait to see my Savior, my King, and my friend.


Oh, Jesus!  I want to see You and hear You and spend time with You.  Fill my heart with Your Holy Spirit.  Speak to me through the living words of Scripture.  I cherish such moments with You, but to be honest, I cannot wait to see You in person.  May the desire burn ever hotter until it becomes reality.  Amen.



Copyright © 2017 by Steven R. Perkins

No comments:

Post a Comment

While I welcome comments, even those that disagree with something I have written, I will delete any comment that is profane, vulgar, threatening, or in poor taste.