Sunday, November 19, 2017

True Thanksgiving

November 19 (Colossians 2:6-7)


Therefore, as you received Christ Jesus the Lord, so walk in him, rooted and built up in him and established in the faith, just as you were taught, abounding in thanksgiving.  (ESV)


There are many things for which we give thanks as we gather with family and friends on Thanksgiving Day, yet none is more worthy of our gratitude than the gift of life from God through Jesus Christ.  Are we grateful for the nation in which we live?  Yes, but our citizenship in heaven is more to be prized.  Are we grateful for material blessings?  Yes, but of greater value are the treasures that moth and rust cannot corrupt and that thieves cannot break in to steal.  Are we grateful for the relationships that form the fabric of our lives?  Yes, but no relationship is closer than the one we have with our heavenly Father through Christ Jesus, by whose blood we are His adopted brothers and sisters and co-heirs with Him in glory.

Friends, reflect on these blessings of immeasurable value when you are with others this week.  If they, like you, have become new creatures in Christ, they will join with you in thanksgiving for that which matters most.  If they do not know Jesus, it is an opportunity for you to testify to all He has done for you.  And would you not be deeply grateful if by this time next year they joined you in that same thanksgiving?


Lord, my deepest thanks go to You.  I could never list all the individual blessings of my life, both in this world and in the next, but I can acknowledge their source.  May the words of my mouth, the actions of my hands, and the thoughts of my heart be ever directed in thanks to You, my Savior, Jesus Christ.  Amen.


Copyright © 2017 by Steven R. Perkins

No comments:

Post a Comment

While I welcome comments, even those that disagree with something I have written, I will delete any comment that is profane, vulgar, threatening, or in poor taste.