Sunday, November 25, 2018

Representatives of Jesus


November 25 (Colossians 3:17)


And whatever you do or say, do it as a representative of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks through him to God the Father.  (NLT)


Cut someone off in traffic?  Tell a dirty joke?  Waste your money on things you don’t need?  Do it all in the name of Jesus.  Visit certain websites?  Watch certain movies?  Share certain things on social media?  Do all that in the name of Jesus, too.

Are you becoming uncomfortable yet?  You should be.  It would be the pinnacle of blasphemy, and in some instances sure indication of demonic activity, to do certain things in the name of Jesus Christ.  Your pet sin may not be on that list, but whatever it is, call it to mind right now.  Does it not make your skin crawl to think of saying, “I am about to do this in the name of the Lord Jesus?”

Yet, for those who have surrendered their lives to Jesus, that is what we do each and every time we do or say anything.  We are God’s ambassadors on earth.  There is nothing we can do or say or even think apart from that reality, and it makes a useful test for us when deciding whether or not engage in a particular activity.

Jesus, when I look at my life for what it is, Your representative on earth, I am filled with shame and grief over all that I have done and all I have not done.  It also makes me even more grateful than ever for Your love and forgiveness.  Help me not to move carelessly through life, doing and saying whatever comes to mind, without first realizing that all I do reflects on You.  Renewed by the power of Your grace, may I be the true salt and light You have called me to be.  Amen.


Copyright © 2018 by Steven R. Perkins

No comments:

Post a Comment

While I welcome comments, even those that disagree with something I have written, I will delete any comment that is profane, vulgar, threatening, or in poor taste.