Sunday, August 1, 2010

August 1 (Mark 1:35-37)

Very early in the morning, while it was still dark, Jesus got up, left the house and went off to a solitary place, where he prayed. Simon and his companions went to look for him, and when they found him, they exclaimed: “Everyone is looking for you!” (NIV)

Do you ever feel as if everyone is looking for you? You have responsibilities to your boss, to your spouse, to your children, to your extended family, to your friends, to your church, to your bill collectors…where does it end? All of those are important responsibilities, too. They are good responsibilities, and we must meet them well.

Yet not one, not one of them, is more important than the work that Jesus came to do. It does not matter who is waiting for that report at work or who has left that voice message demanding a call back. Jesus came to seek and save the lost. Nothing we have to do trumps that.

So what did Jesus do when everyone was demanding a piece of Him? He arose early, before the work of the day got started, and prayed. We all go through seasons of greater or lesser spiritual devotion. We need to be reminded every so often that this time of prayer and being with God is invaluable. To put it bluntly, Jesus had more important things to do than you ever will, yet He set aside time for His Father. Will you?

Father, I have grown lax in my relationship with You. It is easy for me to drift into other things, things I think are pressing and demand my attention. Help me to put every aspect of my life into a proper perspective, beginning with You at the center. Grant me the grace to discipline my life by spending time with You. In Christ, my Lord, I pray. Amen.

Copyright © 2010 by Steven R. Perkins

No comments:

Post a Comment

While I welcome comments, even those that disagree with something I have written, I will delete any comment that is profane, vulgar, threatening, or in poor taste.