Sunday, July 25, 2010

July 25 (Hebrews 4:14)

…we have a great high priest who has gone through the heavens, Jesus the Son of God…. (NIV)

When we were young, we wanted a friend to ask the teacher our question or to approach the person we liked sitting two rows away. As we grew older, we recognized the value of having someone to put in a good word for us when it came to getting a job or buying a house. To this day, my wife prefers for me to make certain phone calls for her or to answer the phone from an unidentified caller.

In essence, this is what a priest does. He speaks for us, on our behalf. As Moses learned, we cannot look directly upon the Presence of God. In our sinful state, we would be instantly consumed by the burning light of His perfection. Yet with Jesus, we have a priest Who pleads for us, Who argues our case, Who defends us against the slanders of our enemy.

This may not seem like much of a blessing in our do-it-yourself age. We want to be self-sufficient. We think we can do it all ourselves, but just how many failures do we need to experience to know that this is not true? I am a weak and incredibly needy person. I have to have someone who can present me before God, who can take the shabby and dog-eared pages of my resume and make me look good. How grateful I am that this someone is my Savior, my Lord, my Brother, Jesus Christ.

Lord Jesus, You know what I truly need, despite all that I babble about in prayer. Present the deepest needs of my heart to our Father. Draw me closer to Him. By Your grace, transform me ever more into Your likeness. Amen.

Copyright © 2010 by Steven R. Perkins

No comments:

Post a Comment

While I welcome comments, even those that disagree with something I have written, I will delete any comment that is profane, vulgar, threatening, or in poor taste.