Sunday, July 18, 2010

July 18, 2010 (1 Chronicles 17:1)

After David was settled in his palace, he said to Nathan the prophet, “Here I am, living in a palace of cedar, while the ark of the covenant of the LORD is under a tent.” (NIV)

We are often so minimalist in our approach to the Christian faith that we think as long as people have access to a Bible, their Christian needs have been met and the work of God has been accomplished. Yet how much time, energy, thought, money, and resources do we put into our children’s sports teams, endlessly renovating our homes, or arranging for our entertainment? Are we doing all we can for our Lord if our churches cannot offer even cost of living increases to their staff, if the only Christian education in town is one hour a week on the weekend, or if counseling, poverty, and domestic problems are left to be addressed solely by government agencies?

We do not earn our way to salvation and we do not earn God’s love by doing good works. On the other hand, how much do we love Him if we are doing the bare minimum to serve His people? Would you really believe your parents, your children, or your spouse loved you if they did only enough to stay on your Christmas card list?

O Lord, You are so gracious to me, pouring forth blessings into my life beyond what I can imagine, and this on top of the gift of eternal life through Jesus Christ. What would You have me do with the talents and blessings You have given me? Into what part of Your kingdom work would you direct me? I am ready to do all that You command. In the name of Jesus, Who gave all for me, I pray. Amen.

Copyright © 2010 by Steven R. Perkins

No comments:

Post a Comment

While I welcome comments, even those that disagree with something I have written, I will delete any comment that is profane, vulgar, threatening, or in poor taste.