Sunday, July 11, 2010

July 11, 2010 (Isaiah 30:1, 2)

“Woe to the obstinate children,” declares the LORD, “…who go down to Egypt without consulting me; who look for help to Pharaoh's protection, to Egypt's shade for refuge.” (NIV)

We live in a world with various types of governments, and these are necessary. They serve a purpose and can be quite good in ordering life for their citizens. Yet no government is the source of all our needs, and we invite God’s anger when we look to human organizations as the source of our protection and refuge.

God is our rock and our salvation. He is the only good and therefore the only source of what is good and needful in our lives. Too often His people, the Church, have stopped living out their call to be salt and light in the world. Tasks that should be performed by the body of Christ have of necessity been picked up by governmental and other secular organizations. The result is that needs once served with the love and grace of our Lord are now provided in ways that do not acknowledge Him and at times bring more harm than good.

Think for a moment. What areas of your life are provided for by non-Christian organizations? What would it look like if you could receive those things through the Church? What talents has God given you to see to it that those things are in fact offered through the Church? What will it take for us to stop going to Pharaoh for our needs?

Lord, forgive me for living as if You are but one aspect of my life when in fact You are the very ground of my existence. Show me how to use what You have given me to build up the body of Christ so that it may truly be the light on the hill, able to welcome all who hunger and thirst. In the name of Christ Jesus, my Lord, amen.

Copyright © 2010 by Steven R. Perkins

No comments:

Post a Comment

While I welcome comments, even those that disagree with something I have written, I will delete any comment that is profane, vulgar, threatening, or in poor taste.