Sunday, October 31, 2010

October 31 (1 Samuel 24:4)

The LORD forbid that I should do such a thing to my master, the LORD's anointed, or lift my hand against him; for he is the anointed of the LORD. (NIV)

What heinous act had David committed against King Saul that he should immediately ask the Lord’s forgiveness? Had he poisoned the king’s wine or orchestrated an assassination plot? These would certainly have been understandable, given that Saul himself was trying to kill David and David had already been anointed as Saul’s successor. The outrageous offense that David had committed against the honor of the king and for which he immediately repented was…

He had cut off a corner of Saul’s robe.

How often in our over-worked, over-stressed, over-exhausted age do we look to complaining against the boss or the powers that be as an outlet? We slice and dice those who are over us for each policy with which we disagree and for every decision that we know we would have made differently. One of the most difficult things for us to understand is how to live under unjust, or simply incompetent, authority.

It is especially difficult for those who live in a republic founded on the rights of the people to change their leaders. We are indeed grateful to live in such a land and we must work within the framework of law and government to install the best leaders we can. Yet when we have done all that we should and our leaders still disappoint us, then we must ask for the grace of humble obedience. This flies in the face of our natural will, yet David, and his greatest descendant Jesus, who submitted even to the injustice of the cross, show us that it can be done.

Lord, help me to control my tongue and my actions. Help me to submit faithfully to the authorities that are over me, taking comfort that my life rests not in their hands, but in Yours, my loving Father. In the name of Christ Jesus I pray, amen.

Copyright © 2010 by Steven R. Perkins

No comments:

Post a Comment

While I welcome comments, even those that disagree with something I have written, I will delete any comment that is profane, vulgar, threatening, or in poor taste.