Sunday, November 14, 2010

November 14 (Psalm 85:8-9)

Do not harden your hearts as you did at Meribah, as you did that day at Massah in the wilderness, where your ancestors tested me; they tried me, though they had seen what I did. (NIV)

Why do we continue to test and try the Lord? It is easy in the depths of our despair to cry out to Him as if challenging Him, daring Him to help us. Time and again we slip into believing that God really does not love us or have our best interest at heart.

Yet if we look back on our own lives, we can see countless examples of His love and provision. If I were to detail all the ways in which I have seen God working in my life, your Internet provider would truncate this email. It is important for us to read the psalms and the Old Testament histories and the letters of Paul and the lives of the Christians who have gone before us to be reminded of all that God has done for our people. We also need to take stock regularly of what He has done for each of us.

Make it part of your spiritual discipline to praise God each day for something He has done in your life. It will strengthen your faith for the times of doubt.

Father, You have blessed me beyond measure. Forgive my lack of gratitude. May I never fall into the false belief that You do not love me. Strengthen my faith by helping me to recall all that You have done in my life. To You be the glory for all things, through Christ Jesus, my Lord. Amen.


Copyright © 2010 by Steven R. Perkins

No comments:

Post a Comment

While I welcome comments, even those that disagree with something I have written, I will delete any comment that is profane, vulgar, threatening, or in poor taste.