Sunday, February 6, 2011

February 6 (Deuteronomy 30:6)

And the LORD thy God will circumcise thine heart, and the heart of thy seed, to love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, that thou mayest live. (KJV)

We were made to love God, but we all know that we do not. Oh, we go through the motions and may at times even love Him in truth, but it is an effort and, quite frankly, loving God takes a back seat to a busy agenda. It is a nice idea to be Mary, but Martha is the name of the game.

We cannot love God as we were made to with the buildup of sin and daily distractions that gather around our heart. These must be cut away, circumcised, by God Himself before we can hope to love Him as we should. It is not just a matter of our own knuckling down and trying harder to be more disciplined with daily devotions. We must ask God to circumcise our hearts so that we can be free to love Him.

What is blocking your heart? Is it a particular sin that keeps cropping up? Is it the details of life or worries for the future? God already knows what is keeping you from Him. He wants you to ask Him for his help in drawing closer.

Father, there is almost nothing that cannot separate me from you when I let it. I am distracted by the tasks before me, by my desire for pleasure, by worries, by concerns, and by sin. Yet Paul promised that nothing in fact can separate us from Your love through Christ Jesus. Circumcise my heart, Lord, from all that prevents me from loving You as I should. Set me free so that, in You, I may truly live. In the name of Jesus Christ, my Lord, amen.

Copyright © 2011 by Steven R. Perkins

No comments:

Post a Comment

While I welcome comments, even those that disagree with something I have written, I will delete any comment that is profane, vulgar, threatening, or in poor taste.