Sunday, January 30, 2011

January 30 (2 Corinthians 4:6)

For God, who commanded the light to shine out of darkness, hath shined in our hearts, to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ. (KJV)

This is an amazing verse. The very One Who created the light of the universe, the same God of Genesis 1:3 who spoke light into existence, shines in our hearts so that we may know Him.

So why do we not spend more time in those secret chambers of our hearts, dwelling with our Lord in His radiant grace? Why, when we are tired, do we prefer to dwell in the dimness of so-called reality television? Why, when we are worried, do we prefer to seek avoidance in a flurry of activity, or what is worse, in addictive substances? Why, when the pressures of life are upon us, do we go anywhere other than to our Lord, Who has chosen to dwell within us through the Holy Spirit?

This verse, which can provide incredible comfort, is also a challenge to our faith. We may read the Bible, go to church, and give mental assent to the proposition that Jesus is Lord, but do we really believe it? If we really believe that God has chosen to dwell with and within us, then why would we not want to spend more time in quiet, secluded joy with Him?

Lord, you have given me a birthright through the adoption of my baptism. Forgive me for all the times I have exchanged it for anything less. Restore to me the joy of my salvation, and teach me to dwell in Your courts forever. In the name of Christ Jesus, my Lord, amen.

Copyright © 2011 by Steven R. Perkins

No comments:

Post a Comment

While I welcome comments, even those that disagree with something I have written, I will delete any comment that is profane, vulgar, threatening, or in poor taste.