Sunday, January 23, 2011

January 23 (Psalm 18:43-44)

Thou hast delivered me from the strivings of the people; and thou hast made me the head of the heathen: a people whom I have not known shall serve me.  As soon as they hear of me, they shall obey me: the strangers shall submit themselves unto me.  (KJV)

Many of the Psalms contain a double meaning.  A large number come out of the experiences of David, but many also are prophetic about the life of Jesus.  It is easy to see the verses for today as among the prophecies obviously fulfilled in Christ.  Jesus is indeed the head of all creation, and people who were not alive in His time serve Him today.  Indeed, strangers submit themselves to Him, for there was no such thing as an American, an Australian, or a Canadian in the modern sense during the 1st century.

So, if this passage is about Jesus, then do we make our Lord a liar on a daily basis?  It also says, “As soon as they hear of me, they shall obey me.”  How often do we hear a message at church, in the Bible, or from some other source and know that God is calling us to do a particular thing?  When that happens, do we obey at once, or do we put it on the back burner?  Do we weigh the pros and cons?  Do we think about how to get out of it?  Do we ignore the call completely?

When Jesus called Matthew from his tax-collecting table, the man left his job at once and followed.  When our Lord called James and John, they left their father in the middle of their work and followed.  God does not offer us propositions to consider.  He makes calls upon our lives.  Anything less than immediate acceptance is a refusal.

O Lord, my God, weaken my ties with the world as You strengthen my identity in You.  When You speak, may I speak.  When I speak, may it be with Your words.  May my life be one of such utter obedience that anyone who sees me, sees You.  In the name of my Lord, Jesus, Who was obedient even unto death on a cross, amen.

Copyright © 2011 by Steven R. Perkins

No comments:

Post a Comment

While I welcome comments, even those that disagree with something I have written, I will delete any comment that is profane, vulgar, threatening, or in poor taste.