Sunday, January 16, 2011

January 16 (Isaiah 5:20)

Woe unto them that call evil good, and good evil; that put darkness for light, and light for darkness; that put bitter for sweet, and sweet for bitter! (KJV)

Where does one go to know what is right and what is wrong? If you listen to any voice that comes from within our culture, it will tell you to listen to your own voice. Yet if I were honest, I would have to admit that many of the things God calls good, I prefer not to do, and what He calls bad are pleasing to me. Now if, after having listened to my own voice on such matters, I go back to the culture around me, I will find many voices willing to encourage me in my sins. In fact, a quick listen to any of the nightly news shows, a quick glance at the newspaper or Internet, followed by even the briefest of looks at the Bible will reveal that our age proudly calls evil good and good evil.

There can be no switching of one for the other. Good and evil are what God says they are in His eternal word, and no legislation of man or Madison Avenue spin or Hollywood advocacy can make it otherwise. Good and evil, light and darkness, right and wrong are not subjective issues open to interpretation. They are rooted in the unchanging Truth Who is Jesus Christ, communicated through the words of Scripture and taught by the Church, the body of Christ on earth, for two thousand years. Woe, says the prophet Isaiah, to anyone who would try to confuse such matters.

Where are you and I guilty of this? Do we try to excuse our pet sins as really okay based on the false gospel that God wants me to be happy? Do we go along with false ideas in our culture because we do not want to seem intolerant? Just how far have we drifted from our Lord and His teachings?

Father, forgive me when I try to persuade myself or others that good is really bad, or bad is really good. Help me to know deeply the truth of right and wrong and to follow it at all costs, no matter how unpleasant. In the name of my Lord Jesus, Who suffered the evil of the cross for the ultimate good, amen.

Copyright © 2011 by Steven R. Perkins

No comments:

Post a Comment

While I welcome comments, even those that disagree with something I have written, I will delete any comment that is profane, vulgar, threatening, or in poor taste.