Sunday, January 9, 2011

January 9 (Psalm 31:22)

For I said in my haste, I am cut off from before thine eyes: nevertheless thou heardest the voice of my supplications when I cried unto thee. (KJV)
The Greek word translated “haste” in the King James Version of this verse can indicate being out of one’s mind. Indeed, one would have to be out of his mind to think that God does not see him, for God sees everything. Yet we all suffer this type of insanity from time to time. It is easy, whether in times of great tragedy or even in moments of mere temporary displeasure and dissatisfaction, to think that God is not with us. Perhaps it is because of our haste. We hurry from this to that, becoming so consumed in our agendas that we begin to believe that the only reality is what is in front of our eyes at the moment.

Yet even in his own time of insanity, David had the presence of mind to call out to God, and God heard him. We must cry out to our Lord when all seems dark and everything seems stacked against us. When we cannot see or feel the presence of our loving Father, we must hurl our prayers and supplications into the darkness. This is the essence of faith. Although we do not see Him, God sees us. Although we do not feel Him, He touches us with His Holy Spirit and is as close as the inner chambers of our hearts.

Father, I cry out to you, for I am beset by many problems and fears. To You they are as nothing, but to me they threaten to overwhelm my life. I do not even know where to begin listing all that confronts me. Look into my life and see what is there. Guide me through what lies ahead and keep me faithful to You, my Lord and my God, in all circumstances. In the name of Christ Jesus, my Lord, amen.

Copyright © 2011 by Steven R. Perkins

No comments:

Post a Comment

While I welcome comments, even those that disagree with something I have written, I will delete any comment that is profane, vulgar, threatening, or in poor taste.