Sunday, March 6, 2011

March 6 (Psalm 103:2-3)

Bless the LORD, O my soul, and forget not all his benefits: Who forgiveth all thine iniquities; who healeth all thy diseases; (KJV)

Yes, yes, I should praise God because of all the really great stuff He has done for me. My life is a lot better than so many whose pictures I see on the nightly news. I get it.

Hold on a minute. If this is our interpretation of Psalm 103:2, it is crucial that we read on to verse 3. In the list of blessings from God, many of which are material, David begins with forgiveness of sin and healing of soul sickness. No matter how great you and I think we are, and let’s face it, in the privacy of our minds, we think we are pretty hot stuff, we were born with a sin nature that has earned us eternal death. On top of that, from the hateful word snapped at a spouse to the truly dark iniquities, we have done and continue to do many things that would separate us from God.

Yet God has forgiven all that. Through the grace of Jesus Christ and the power of the Holy Spirit, He reaches into the dark and secret recesses of our hearts and heals us. This is truly great news! Bless the Lord, o my soul!

Father, I operate too much on a superficial level in my relationship with You. Help me to see the deep work You have done and continue to do in my soul. Take me to those places in myself I would rather not see, that I may lay them before You and be healed. In the name of Christ Jesus, my Savior, amen.

Copyright © 2011 by Steven R. Perkins

No comments:

Post a Comment

While I welcome comments, even those that disagree with something I have written, I will delete any comment that is profane, vulgar, threatening, or in poor taste.