Sunday, April 17, 2011

April 17 (Romans 5:8)

But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us. (KJV)
It is quite easy to believe that when we sin, God will not love us. This reaction is written deeply into the human heart. A young child will burst into tears over a broken cookie jar, and adults will wonder why the extravagant reaction. Deep inside, the child knows he has done something wrong, something against the will of parents who love him, and now that love may be at risk.

This reaction does not go away, even for the mature Christian. Having lived in good relationship with God for a period of time, we suddenly stumble into sin. Suddenly we become the child with the cookie jar. We love our Lord so much and are, rightly, crushed that we have sinned yet again. Yet we must remember this powerful verse. We were sinners when Christ died for us. We never did do anything to earn His love and grace and were actually His enemies through sin when He reached out to us.

And the love and grace of Cavalry have not changed.

O Lord, my God, forgive me my sins, for I have continued to sin against You not only in what I do that I should not, but in what I fail to do that I ought. Help me to know Your grace and restore me to a right relationship with You. In the name of Jesus Christ, Your Son, my Savior, amen.


Copyright © 2011 by Steven R. Perkins

No comments:

Post a Comment

While I welcome comments, even those that disagree with something I have written, I will delete any comment that is profane, vulgar, threatening, or in poor taste.