Sunday, April 3, 2011

April 3 (John 8:58)

Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was, I am. (KJV)

Our fourth-grade son’s small group at church recently began a lesson on the divinity of Jesus. I asked them whether, upon discovering that I was actually the President of the United States, a king, or the richest man in the world, they would treat me differently. They immediately agreed that they would.

Jesus is indeed our friend (John 15:15) and a great teacher (John 13:13), and we will relate to Him in certain ways because He is those things. Yet if we do not grasp fully His divinity, then we run the dangerous risks of blasphemy and error. Failing to acknowledge the divinity of Christ keeps some from centering their lives around Him and giving Him the glory that is His due. It also leaves them open to embracing other beliefs, as if all religions were the same. Many religions teach similar principles, but the distinguishing tenets of Christianity stand on one fundamental truth, that Jesus is God. With this in mind, hear again the words of Jesus to His disciples.

But whom say ye that I am? (Matthew 16:15)

O Lord, my God, may my life ever be one of humble adoration before You. May I never lose sight of Who You are, the God of all Who humbled Himself to take on flesh and die in my place. Help me to live in a right relationship with You and thereby live in a right relationship with the world. In the name of Jesus Christ, Who with the Father and the Holy Spirit reigns as one God, forever and ever, amen.

Copyright © 2011 by Steven R. Perkins

No comments:

Post a Comment

While I welcome comments, even those that disagree with something I have written, I will delete any comment that is profane, vulgar, threatening, or in poor taste.