Sunday, June 26, 2011

June 26 (Luke 18:13)

And the publican, standing afar off, would not lift up so much as his eyes unto heaven, but smote upon his breast, saying, God be merciful to me a sinner. (KJV)

This is the man whom Jesus lifted up as an example, a tax collector with a reputation for cheating people out of their hard-earned money. This man knew how to confess. He knew how to repent. We may know a great many things about technology and how to advance in the world, but do we know how to confess and repent in the way our Lord approves?

Humans are the pinnacle of creation, made in the image of God. Yet humans are sinners, and so am I. My life may have all the marks of success, but not a day goes by that I do not sin in thought or word or deed, and often in all three. I need to acknowledge who I am, a sinner redeemed by grace, and I cannot focus properly on the grace and give proper glory to God without first admitting that I am a sinner.

O Lord, my God, You know every thought that passes through my mind, yet I must confess to You my sins. I have not done the things I should, and I have failed to do what You command. Of my own merits, I deserve nothing but punishment. Thank You, heavenly Father, for allowing Your Son, my Lord Jesus, to take that punishment for me. Restore me to a righteous life, one that can bring true glory and honor to You. Amen.

Copyright © 2011 by Steven R. Perkins

No comments:

Post a Comment

While I welcome comments, even those that disagree with something I have written, I will delete any comment that is profane, vulgar, threatening, or in poor taste.