Sunday, June 5, 2011

June 5, 2011 (Ephesians 5:3)

But fornication, and all uncleanness, or covetousness, let it not be once named among you, as becometh saints. (KJV)

Audio version available here.

It is increasingly difficult to distinguish a Christian from a non-Christian. Our language and behavior tends to mimic that of the culture we are in rather than stand out as a contrasting example of a better way. We want to be just enough of a Christian to enjoy the fellowship of church and get that warm, fuzzy feeling from doing good things for others, but when it comes to our private lives, that is another matter.

Yet, as the saying goes, Jesus is either Lord of all or He is not Lord at all. That means I cannot dress however I want. In a land of free speech, my speech is limited. There are things I am called to do and things I must not do, however much I and those around me may enjoy them.

We are entering summer, a time when many of us take vacations. While we take time for those activities that recharge our batteries, will we take a vacation as well from acting like the Christians we claim to be?

Father, it is easy for me to slide into behaviors that are not pleasing to You. Give me the strength I need to stand against all temptations. May my life be an example to others of what You want from Your followers. In the name of Christ Jesus, to Whose lordship I have surrendered, amen.

Copyright © 2011 by Steven R. Perkins

No comments:

Post a Comment

While I welcome comments, even those that disagree with something I have written, I will delete any comment that is profane, vulgar, threatening, or in poor taste.