Sunday, September 4, 2011

September 4 (Matthew 6:33)


But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you. (KJV)

Death. The economy. Job insecurity. Relationship difficulties. In which of these areas are you facing struggles? In which of these areas are you facing multiple struggles? As I think about my friends, family, and even my own life, I see that we all face challenges most of the time. There comes a point where we have to say with Scotty in the old Star Trek show that we just cannot give the engines any more.

Jesus knew this. He knew in the first century that we in the twenty-first would suffer the same challenges and difficulties that His friends and family were facing, and He gave us amazingly simply help. Look away. Stop looking at all that threatens you and turn your gaze upon God. Do not look seek a way out of difficulty and challenge, but seek first His kingdom and His righteousness. It is amazing what this change of perspective accomplishes.

Is this not being irresponsible? It is actually both responsible and irresponsible. It is responsible to the only One to Whom we owe a response and irresponsible to what should at best have a secondary claim on our lives. It is a proper ordering, or for most of us a re-ordering, of our lives.

O Lord, my God, black thunderclouds sit on the horizon and threaten to overwhelm me. Turn my eyes from the storm to the One Who is light from light, true God from true God, my own savior Jesus Christ. Help me to seek Your kingdom and righteousness, confident that You will supply all that I need. In the name of Jesus and in the power of the Holy Spirit, I pray. Amen.

Copyright © 2011 by Steven R. Perkins

No comments:

Post a Comment

While I welcome comments, even those that disagree with something I have written, I will delete any comment that is profane, vulgar, threatening, or in poor taste.