Sunday, November 20, 2011

November 20 (Ruth 1:16)

And Ruth said, “Intreat me not to leave thee, or to return from following after thee: for whither thou goest, I will go; and where thou lodgest, I will lodge: thy people shall be my people, and thy God my God.”  (KJV)

If you go to stay with a friend, even for a short time, there are certain things you can expect.  You know that you will eat at some new restaurants, see some new sights, and in general get a glimpse into how your friend lives.  Your own life will change as you adapt to sleeping in a new environment and following a different pattern of life.  The same would be true if a friend came to stay with you.

What would your friend see about your relationship with God?  When Ruth said that she would stay with her mother-in-law, Naomi, she also knew that her life would change, and one of the expectations was that she would follow Naomi’s God.  In the ancient world, religion was a defining aspect of a person’s life.  Is your relationship with God a defining aspect of yours?  Would a non-Christian friend experience life differently for spending time with you, or would you hide this aspect of your life in an effort not to offend?

More than our jobs, our ethnicity, or our favorite sports team, our relationship with God must be the single most significant defining aspect of our lives.  There should never be a question in the minds of our friends what to expect from us in this regard.

Father, I want my light to shine before others so that they may glorify You, just as Jesus commanded.  Help me to live faithfully to you at home, at work, and at play.  Give me the grace and courage to live for You when I am alone and in public.  In the name of Jesus, my Lord, I pray.  Amen.

Copyright © 2011 by Steven R. Perkins

No comments:

Post a Comment

While I welcome comments, even those that disagree with something I have written, I will delete any comment that is profane, vulgar, threatening, or in poor taste.