Sunday, January 8, 2012

January 1 (Joshua 3:5)

Joshua told the people, "Consecrate yourselves, for tomorrow the LORD will do amazing things among you." (NIV)

I love Joshua. He is bold and confident in the Lord. Who would not like to live a bolder, more confident life of faith? Perhaps this is your resolution for the new year. If so, then Joshua tells you how to do it. Consecrate yourself.

I am ashamed to think how much our Lord could have done through me had I been ready for Him, able to see what He wanted me to see. Too often, my life is clouded with sin or blurred with distractions and affairs of the world. I need to consecrate myself, to set myself apart for a sacred work. Just as an athlete trains repeatedly for a shot he or she may not get a chance to use for years, so we must prepare ourselves and get ready for whatever our Lord calls us to.

How should you consecrate yourself? is there something you need to stop, like a particular sin? Is it something you need to do, like pray or read Scripture more regularly? Whatever it is, hear Joshua telling you to do it. Get yourself ready. The Lord will do amazing things with you.

Gracious Father, I surrender myself completely...body, mind, and spirit...to You. Train my hands and feet for Your service. May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable in Your sight, o Lord, my strength and my redeemer. In the name of Jesus Christ and by the power of the Holy Spirit I pray. Amen.

Copyright © 2012 by Steven R. Perkins

No comments:

Post a Comment

While I welcome comments, even those that disagree with something I have written, I will delete any comment that is profane, vulgar, threatening, or in poor taste.