Sunday, January 15, 2012

January 15 (Joshua 24:15)

But if serving the LORD seems undesirable to you, then choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve, whether the gods your forefathers served beyond the River, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land you are living. But as for me and my household, we will serve the LORD.  (NIV)

We do this and do that, follow this, listen to that, vote one way, and support particular teams.  It is easy to become divided, fractured people in a world where the voices vying for our allegiance are ever louder and more persuasive.  Yet in all the clamor for our attention, there is really only one voice that has priority, and we must decide whether or not we will follow the One Whose voice it is.

No one is saying we cannot cheer for our favorite teams or take part in a heated political discussion, but at the end of the day, just where do you stand?  Ultimately, you have only yourself to answer for.  If you are a parent, then you have the additional responsibility of speaking for your family.  Where do you stand?  Is it with God?  If so, then there are certain claims on your life.  He has expectations of what it means to follow Him, expectations clearly laid out in His word and clearly taught in his church.

When you plant the banner of the Lord deeply and take your stand, all manner of lesser things go whirling by.  Sometimes the wind they create is strong, but hold firm.  If you choose to cling to Him, the Lord will be your strength.

O Lord, my God, I submit to You in humble obedience.  I am Yours.  I belong to You.  Command me to do what You will and grant me the grace to accomplish all You ask.  In the name of Christ Jesus, the rock on which I stand, amen.

Copyright © 2012 by Steven R. Perkins

No comments:

Post a Comment

While I welcome comments, even those that disagree with something I have written, I will delete any comment that is profane, vulgar, threatening, or in poor taste.