Sunday, March 11, 2012

March 11 (Exodus 20:3)

You shall have no other gods before me. (NIV)

I was recently moderating an academic competition for high school students, and one of the questions in the category of Greek and Roman mythology asked who the king of the gods was. One young lady buzzed in and said, “Jesus Christ!” She immediately realized her mistake, given the category, but I was tempted to award her points. She had, in fact, given an accurate answer.
The exclusivity of Christianity bothers some people, and indeed it could be a proper source of concern if it originated from a merely human teaching. As the verse for today reminds us, however, God Himself has declared it. Whether Zeus, Allah, or the Great Spirit, it makes no difference. Whether money, fame, or security, anything that claims our devotion is a false god. In fact, it is no god at all. There is only one, and He has revealed Himself as a trinity, one God eternally existing as three persons, Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.

It may be the temptation to pursue other idols of our own making or to seem tolerant by embracing other religions. Whatever leads us to acknowledge anything or anyone else as god, however, is a violation of the first commandment and a betrayal of the One Who loved us so much that He was willing to die for us.

Father, in my love of others, may I never stray from my love for You. In my pursuit of earthly things, may I make none of them my god. You alone are my Lord and my God, my Savior in Whom I put my trust. In the precious name of Jesus, Who with You and the Holy Spirit reigns forever, amen.

Copyright © 2012 by Steven R. Perkins

No comments:

Post a Comment

While I welcome comments, even those that disagree with something I have written, I will delete any comment that is profane, vulgar, threatening, or in poor taste.