Sunday, March 4, 2012

March 4 (Exodus 32:1)

When the people saw that Moses was so long in coming down from the mountain, they gathered around Aaron and said, “Come, make us gods who will go before us. As for this fellow Moses who brought us up out of Egypt, we don’t know what has happened to him.”  (NIV)

How long is long enough to wait for God?  When should we take matters into our own hands?  Do we wait for five years, five days, or five minutes?

In the classic example of impatience, the Israelites felt that they had had enough waiting while Moses was on Mt. Sinai speaking with God.  They felt they could wait no longer and decided to make their own gods to worship.  Sound familiar?  How often do I lay a matter before God in prayer and proceed to act on it as soon as the “amen” has left my lips?  Read the rest of the chapter to see how such impatience played out.  It is not a pleasant story.

Perhaps never in history has there been such an impatient age as ours.  We multi-task and run from this activity to that at ever increasing speeds.  Such behavior leads inevitably to this sin of the Israelites.  With the current speed of life, it is impossible to wait on God, yet that is exactly what He wants and requires us to do.  How long will you wait on Him before you make a god of the person in the mirror?

Father, I cry out to You to help me slow down.  The pace of life is so fast that I feel I must run all the time just to stay a little bit behind.  Forgive me when I have taken matters into my own hands rather than relying on Your grace and provision.  Help me to follow You and not to run in front of You.  In the name of Jesus, my Lord, amen.

Copyright © 2012 by Steven R. Perkins

No comments:

Post a Comment

While I welcome comments, even those that disagree with something I have written, I will delete any comment that is profane, vulgar, threatening, or in poor taste.