Sunday, October 14, 2012

October 14 (Isaiah 58:13-14)


“If you keep your feet from breaking the Sabbath and from doing as you please on my holy day, if you call the Sabbath a delight and the LORD’s holy day honorable, and if you honor it by not going your own way and not doing as you please or speaking idle words, then you will find your joy in the LORD, and I will cause you to ride on the heights of the land and to feast on the inheritance of your father Jacob.” The mouth of the LORD has spoken. (NIV)

Many, if not most, of us shoehorn our time with God into our busy schedules. We pray in the shower, listen to Christian radio while driving to a meeting, and do our ten minutes of due diligence reading the Bible each day. On the one hand, this is good. Our time with God should be woven into the fabric of our daily lives. We should be communing with Him in the midst of our most mundane activities.

Yet when was the last time you gave a day to God? When was the last time you gave him a full hour of your time? A church retreat can provide the occasion for intimate, dedicated time with God, yet He Himself has invited us to just such a retreat once a week. Think for just a moment of what it would be like to spend a day not rushing around doing things you have to do or even cramming in all the activities you enjoy. Imagine a day not going your own way or doing as you please, but finding your joy in the Lord.

If that sounds good to you, it should. You and I were made for Sabbath rest with our Father Who loves us. He is waiting for you. What are you waiting for?

Oh, Father, I long to be with You, to spend even a few moments in the midst of a hurly burly life in Your presence. Lead me beside quiet waters. Make me lie down in Your green pastures, for my cup has run low. In the name of Jesus, I pray. Amen.

Copyright © 2012 by Steven R. Perkins

No comments:

Post a Comment

While I welcome comments, even those that disagree with something I have written, I will delete any comment that is profane, vulgar, threatening, or in poor taste.