Sunday, October 7, 2012

October 7 (1 Corinthians 2:2)


For I resolved to know nothing while I was with you except Jesus Christ and him crucified. (NIV)

There are times when I think I really have it together. I am husband and father, a homeowner, and successful at what I do. I know how to handle car trouble and can do basic repairs around the house. All in all, I think I have a fairly good bead on things.

What a joke. I can become as frightened as a little kid and after decades of following Christ, I am still learning what it really means to be a Christian. For all the pride I like to take in my own abilities, I need to come back to nothing but Jesus Christ. I constantly have to strip away the false beliefs and misplaced confidence that seemingly grow up over night. Who am I, that God should be mindful of me?

Spend some time chipping away at the things that have encrusted your life. It may be activities, ambitions, or your interpretations of the Christian faith. Come back to Christ, and Him crucified. Let Him, and nothing else, lead and guide you once again.

Lord Jesus, show me the weakness in my imagined strength that I may stop living on what does not give me life and turn again to You. In Your holy name I pray, amen.

Copyright © 2012 by Steven R. Perkins

No comments:

Post a Comment

While I welcome comments, even those that disagree with something I have written, I will delete any comment that is profane, vulgar, threatening, or in poor taste.