Sunday, September 30, 2012

September 30 (1 John 1:9)


If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness. (NIV)

God wants everything to be clear and clean between you and Him. He wants your relationship to be perfect. In the book of Revelation, He speaks to different churches, affirming the good things they have done, but concluding with the one or two things that are wrong. Some may think God is just nitpicking here. Is it not good enough that we go to church, give to the poor, and read our Bibles? What does He want from us?

The answer is that He wants perfection. Of course, we cannot attain perfection on our own. This is why, out of His unimaginable store of love, He provides a way for us even when we fall. We must confess our sins to Him. He already knows them, but do we? Do we become complacent with our sharp or foul language? Do we become casual with our anger or lust? God wants us to confess to Him our sins. He wants us to be so close to Him and His perfect standard that we know what a sin actually is. Unlike a fellow human being, when we do confess how we have offended Him, He will not reject us. He will forgive us and purify us, restoring us to the perfect relationship with Him that He desires.

So what is your desire? Do you long to hear from God? Do you crave the close intimacy you once knew? Ask Him to reveal the places of sin in your life and with repentance confess them to Him. He really does want you back.

Father, a barrier has grown between You and me because of my sins, those things I should have done that I have not and those things I should not have done that I have. Forgive me, Father. I never wanted to separate myself from You. Draw me closer and restore a right spirit within me. In the name of Jesus, Who makes this grace possible, amen.

Copyright © 2012 by Steven R. Perkins

No comments:

Post a Comment

While I welcome comments, even those that disagree with something I have written, I will delete any comment that is profane, vulgar, threatening, or in poor taste.