Sunday, September 2, 2012

September 2 (1 Corinthians 1:23)

but we preach Christ crucified: a stumbling block to Jews and foolishness to Gentiles.  (NIV)
 
Some translations render the last part of this verse as "foolishness to the Greeks" because the Gentiles, or non-Jews, were largely Greek-speaking peoples thanks to the conquest of Alexander the Great.  In the ancient world, Greeks were synonymous with philosophers.  Even today when we think of philosophy, the first names that come to mind are Socrates, Plato, and Aristotle.
 
Think about that for a moment.  The centerpiece of our faith is not a philosophy.  It is not a collection of wise sayings helpful for living daily life.  We do not follow a philosopher.  We serve a crucified Lord.  Before His role as teacher or healer, Jesus Christ was God in the flesh.
 
I do not avoid wrong and do right because it is logical.  I do not help the poor because it is the ethical thing to do.  The actions of my life are shaped and judged wholly by a person, the Second Person of the Holy Trinity, Jesus Christ.  I must never let my faith devolve into a set of dry and dusty rules to be followed as if I were the disciple of a school of philosophy.  I am a disciple of Christ.
 
Jesus, may my love for You burn hotter each day as I serve You, walk with You, live with You.  You are the author and perfecter of my faith.  In You alone I live and move and have my being.  Glory be to the Father and to You and to the Holy Spirit forever!  amen.

Copyright © 2012 by Steven R. Perkins

No comments:

Post a Comment

While I welcome comments, even those that disagree with something I have written, I will delete any comment that is profane, vulgar, threatening, or in poor taste.