Sunday, August 26, 2012

August 26 (Deuteronomy 5:28, 29)

The Lord ... said to me, “Oh, that their hearts would be inclined to fear me and keep all my commands always, so that it might go well with them and their children forever!
  (NIV)

God loves you.  He wants things to go well for you.  He has given us all the directions so that this can happen.  It really is that simple.

Of course, a thousand and one other things come into the picture to ruin it, including other people who do not know God and our own cranky selves, but take a look at what these verse actually say.  They are a picture of God's extraordinary love for us.  He truly does care for us and want our best.  We may want to blame Him when things go wrong, but we really have no cause to do so.  He has turned our lives over to us, giving us completely free will whether to obey Him or not.  If He had His way, we would all obey Him all the time, and things would go well for us and our children.

When we pray with Jesus for the will of God to be done on earth as it is in Heaven, we are praying for our own blessing.  God's will is that we live in harmony with Him, for He truly does love us.

Father, it is easy to point to others, and even to You, when things go wrong in my life.  Help me to take a closer look at how I am living.  Show me if there is any place where I am not following Your commands.  I want to obey You in all things.  Amen.

Copyright © 2012 by Steven R. Perkins

No comments:

Post a Comment

While I welcome comments, even those that disagree with something I have written, I will delete any comment that is profane, vulgar, threatening, or in poor taste.