Sunday, August 5, 2012

August 5 (Acts 17:28)

For in him we live and move and have our being. (NIV)

I love watching the Olympics. I enjoy watching sports that I do not ordinarily get to see, and I thrill to the stories of athletes who achieve what no one has achieved before. Part of the pleasure for me is seeing the connection with the ancient Olympics and witnessing the grand play of history.

To be an Olympic athlete requires dedication, focus, and complete surrender to one thing. It requires an intensity most of us never know. This is unfortunate, for it is the kind of life proper to a Christian. In Christ Jesus we live and move and have our being. He is it. He is everything. He is our first and last thought at work. He is the reason we mow the grass. Our relationship with Him determines how we spend fifty cents at the discount store, why we choose a college major, and how we interact with strangers, family, and friends. He is the ground and goal of our being.

Is this how you live? For most Olympic sports there is an age after which one cannot hope to be successful. For the Christian life, there is always another chance. If your life does not reflect the kind of intensity implied by the verse today, what are you waiting for? Get into the game today.
My Lord, I love You more than anything or anyone else. May my life reflect my devotion to You in its smallest details and in its greatest acts. I want my life to be nothing but years of lived glory to You. Amen.

Copyright © 2012 by Steven R. Perkins

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for your comment, Diane, and welcome to Online Devotions! If I may ask, how did you hear about this site?

    ReplyDelete

While I welcome comments, even those that disagree with something I have written, I will delete any comment that is profane, vulgar, threatening, or in poor taste.