Sunday, July 29, 2012

July 29 (Matthew 14:30)

But when he saw the wind, he was afraid and, beginning to sink, cried out, “Lord, save me!” (NIV)
Jesus beckoned to Peter to walk toward Him on water. Peter saw the wind and began to sink. We often look at this story as a reminder that we must not let distractions keep us from following Christ. Stop and think, though. Peter was already walking on water when he became fearful of the wind. It is true that the cares of the world may prevent us from even getting out of the boat, but sometimes, as in the case of Peter, we have been walking by faith for some time when the wind hits.

The challenge for many Christians is in keeping the faith. You may actually have been doing a great job for quite a while. You do not worry about finances. You give your cares to the Lord. You do bold things to serve the Kingdom, things that would be unreasonable in the eyes of the world. Congratulations! You have been doing just what God has asked of you.

If you find yourself floundering, however, flailing wildly just to keep your head above water, relax into the arms of our Savior. He will help you up and get you walking on water again. In fact, you are in a great position, because He can remind you of your experience in trusting Him already. Never for one moment allow the enemy to steal that experience from you. Trust in Him and what He has already enabled you to do and get back into the game.

Lord, I realize that I have let my focus drift, yielding to fears and worries that I once would have surrendered to You. You have always guided me to do more than I possibly could have on my own strength. I surrender again to Your might, Your love, and Your grace. Lead me on, even through restless waters. In the name of Christ Jesus, I pray. Amen.

Copyright © 2012 by Steven R. Perkins

2 comments:

  1. This is a very encouraging post! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are most welcome. As I always tell people, if a devotion touches you, you can be sure it was from God. If it leaves you flat, there was too much of me in it.

    ReplyDelete

While I welcome comments, even those that disagree with something I have written, I will delete any comment that is profane, vulgar, threatening, or in poor taste.