Sunday, July 8, 2012

July 8 (John 21:-21-22)


When Peter saw him, he asked, "Lord, what about him?" Jesus answered, "If I want him to remain alive until I return, what is that to you? You must follow me." (NIV)

One of the most successful tactics Satan uses against us is persuading us that God is not good and does not love us. You may say this has never worked with you, but ask yourself whether fear, doubt, and worry have ever crept into your life. If they have, then it is likely you took your eyes off God, trusting more in your own ability because you did not fully trust His.

So why do we do it? One reason is that we begin to look at the suffering of others and think that if God did not love them enough to help their situation, He will not help us. When it comes to the suffering of others, however, no one can ever fully know the details and circumstances. We must not look to the life of someone else as our model of Who God is. As the old hymn said, we must turn our eyes upon Jesus, look full in His wonderful face. And the things of earth will grow strangely dim in the light of His glory and grace.

What is preventing you from seeing Jesus and nothing else? Can you dare, if even for a moment, to look not at that obstacle, but gaze into the face of the One Who loves you?

Lord, as You did with Paul, clear the scales from my eyes so that I may see You for Who You really are. Give me the grace to let go of those things that keep me bound in fear, doubt, and worry. I put my trust fully in You. In the name of Jesus, my Lord, I pray. Amen.

Copyright © 2012 by Steven R. Perkins

No comments:

Post a Comment

While I welcome comments, even those that disagree with something I have written, I will delete any comment that is profane, vulgar, threatening, or in poor taste.