Sunday, September 9, 2012

September 9 (1 Thessalonians 1:4)

For we know, brothers loved by God, that he has chosen you. (NIV)

You do not have to be a follower of Jesus Christ. In fact, the chances are very good that you could be living a very different life right now. Somewhere along the way, you heard about Jesus. You learned of something called the Church and the Bible. You found out about baptism and communion. Your heart was inflamed with a passionate love for Jesus, and you chose to follow Him. It did not, however, have to be that way.

Can you think of anyone who grew up with you who does not follow Jesus? Do you know anyone who went to your school, works with you, or in any other way has a life similar to yours who does not serve Him?

I do not know why God allowed me to have the parents I did, parents who taught me the Scriptures from an early age and took me to church. I do not know why I was blessed with Sunday School teachers as a child and brothers and sisters in Christ as an adult who could guide me on the way. I do not know why I have been blessed with the gift of faith and a deep love for God. What I know is this. I am grateful, I owe Him everything, and it is a debt I am delighted to spend my life paying.

Dear God, thank You for blessing me to know You. Thank You for all those who have taught or guided me in the Christian faith. Knowing You is the greatest blessing of my life. Please show me how I can thank You with my life. In the name of Jesus, my Savior, amen.

Copyright © 2012 by Steven R. Perkins

No comments:

Post a Comment

While I welcome comments, even those that disagree with something I have written, I will delete any comment that is profane, vulgar, threatening, or in poor taste.