Sunday, December 30, 2012

December 30 (John 21:3)

“I’m going out to fish,” Simon Peter told them.  (NIV)

Christmas can be so much fun that when it is over, the letdown can be rather dramatic.  We have enjoyed some time off from work to be with family and friends.  Perhaps we have had a chance to reflect on what really matters in life.  The thought of going back to work and resuming daily routines may seem deflating.

The wonderful thing about the Christian life is that it is rooted in the daily and the ordinary.  If we think a bit of Christmas vacation is an emotional high, try living with Jesus for three years.  The disciples had experienced greater things than we ever will this side of heaven, and then it all came to a halt.  Jesus was dead.  What now?  Peter’s return to his job of fishing reminds us that life goes on and that this is a good thing.  The highs, the lows, they are all part of the great pageant of life, and of course, as we see a few verses later, Jesus is present in even the most mundane moments.

God has redeemed every moment of every day for His purposes.  As you return to the workplace and the patterns of everyday life, remember that the joy of Christmas is not contained in tinsel and lights.  It is grounded in the realities of life on earth, and the babe in the manger became the risen Savior who walks with us still.

Thank You, Father, for the days of rest and celebration surrounding the birth of Your Son, Jesus.  As I go back to the work to which You have called me, may I work to Your glory, doing all and only what You would have me to do.  In the name of Jesus, my Savior, I pray.  Amen.

Copyright © 2012 by Steven R. Perkins

No comments:

Post a Comment

While I welcome comments, even those that disagree with something I have written, I will delete any comment that is profane, vulgar, threatening, or in poor taste.