Sunday, May 12, 2013

May 12 (Romans 6:6)

For we know that our old self was crucified with him so that the body ruled by sin might be done away with, that we should no longer be slaves to sin.  (NIV)
It is my right to say what I want to say when I want to say it.  What could be more freeing than to do exactly what I want to do?  Surely true freedom is just that, to act on a desire at the very moment I have it.
Does this sound familiar?  It is the rallying cry of just about every movie, television show, and news article.  We have all felt it ourselves.  It is, however, the lie of our great enemy that makes slavery appear as freedom.  You see, it is the tyranny of sin that says we must do this or that in answer to our appetites.  Genuine freedom is the exercise of free will to say no.
What a revolutionary concept this is!  What an amazing freedom is actually ours!  In His free choice to die, Christ said no to the ultimate slavery of sin and death.  He offers that freedom to us through His resurrected life.  What choice will you make?

Lord, too often I feel as if I have no choice in my life, forgetting, ignoring, or even rejecting the powerful freedom You have given me.  Help me to live boldly in the freedom of Your grace, free to reject what seems to have power over me and free to live the true life that You have designed.  In the name of Jesus Christ, I pray.  Amen.

Copyright © 2013 by Steven R. Perkins

No comments:

Post a Comment

While I welcome comments, even those that disagree with something I have written, I will delete any comment that is profane, vulgar, threatening, or in poor taste.