Sunday, May 26, 2013

May 26 (Luke 22:19)

And he took bread, gave thanks and broke it, and gave it to them, saying, “This is my body given for you; do this in remembrance of me.”  (NIV)
In the United States we are celebrating Memorial Day weekend.  It is a time to remember those who have given their lives defending our country.  We hold parades, watch the Indianapolis 500, and have picnics with family and friends.  We put flowers on gravesites and display our flags.  Yet none of the things we do actually takes us into the very life and death of those we remember.
Consider now the Last Supper.  Jesus never once said, “Do as I say, not as I do.”  He always invited people into His life, which included His death that brought life to all.  When we partake of Communion or the Lord’s Supper or the Eucharist, we do far more than merely remember.  We enter into the life of the One Who came to give His life as a ransom for many.  Jesus was not interested in simple remembrance.  He invited us to remember Him by fully participating in His life.
We will not forget those who have died for their country come Tuesday, but the memory will move to the back a bit as we return to the activities of daily life.  It is not so in our memory of Jesus.  We carry Him, the risen Lord, with us.  He lives in us, guiding and inspiring us to live ever more like Him.
Lord Jesus, thank You for the greatest sacrifice of all.  You chose to die for me, even though You had done nothing wrong and I had not yet been born.  May my life reflect Yours in all that I do, say, and think.  Amen.
Copyright © 2013 by Steven R. Perkins

No comments:

Post a Comment

While I welcome comments, even those that disagree with something I have written, I will delete any comment that is profane, vulgar, threatening, or in poor taste.