Sunday, July 14, 2013

July 14 (Matthew 16:18)

…my church, and the gates of Hades will not overcome it.  (NIV)
The Greek word for “church” is ekklesia.  It literally means the assembly of those called out.  In other words, it means you and me.  We are the assembly of those called out…called out from sin and darkness into life and light, called out from the world to be part of the kingdom of God.
Of course, that kingdom is not a fairy tale land of licorice streams and big rock candy mountains.  It is a kingdom doing battle with the very world from which we have been called and in which we still live.  There is great and good work for us to do as part of this ekklesia.
The encouraging thing is that nothing can stop us.  Jesus said so Himself.  Hell has no power over God’s people.  As we fight on our knees in prayer, while we battle with the open and outstretched hands of servants, we do so confidently, knowing that He Who overcame the world is our King.
Lord, it is easy for me to become discouraged and worn out.  Sometimes I wonder whether I am making any difference at all.  Today I take Your own words as my comfort and encouragement to enter once again the Kingdom battle to which You have called me.  Thank You for honoring me with such a call.  In the name of Jesus, my Savior, amen.
Copyright © 2013 by Steven R. Perkins

No comments:

Post a Comment

While I welcome comments, even those that disagree with something I have written, I will delete any comment that is profane, vulgar, threatening, or in poor taste.