Sunday, July 28, 2013

July 28 (Philippians 3:14)

I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus.  (ESV)
At the beginning of our walk with Jesus, everything is fresh and new and exciting.  We are prepared to do anything with Him and would gladly face lions in the arena.  The end of our journey brings the hope and comfort of seeing Him soon face to face.  Chances are good that you are at neither place.  You are somewhere in the long middle.
The long middle sees you attending your 5,221st worship service with number 5,222 coming up next week.  Yippee.  The long middle is filled with one more Bible study, one more ministry opportunity, one more prayer.  It can seem repetitious and boring, and it is then that the enemy strikes.  We take our eyes off Jesus, and the thoughts come flooding in.  Why I am doing this?  Does it make any difference?  Do I really believe this stuff?  What if I took a break?
There is a goal, and there is a prize.  Paul knew it.  He also knew that it took perseverance, pressing on.  On earth you will spend far more time in the long middle of your relationship with Jesus than at either of the exciting ends.  When the questions and doubts come, and they will, how will you respond?  Will you give in to their distraction, or will you press on toward the goal?
Jesus, I never want to take my eyes from You.  When I look at my job, my family, and my responsibilities, may I see them all through You.  Let nothing pull my attention from You, my strength and my redeemer.  Amen.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 


Copyright © 2013 by Steven R. Perkins 

No comments:

Post a Comment

While I welcome comments, even those that disagree with something I have written, I will delete any comment that is profane, vulgar, threatening, or in poor taste.