Saturday, August 3, 2013

August 4 (Mark 9:29)

 
And he said to them, “This kind cannot be driven out by anything but prayer.”  (ESV)
It is said that to a person who has only a hammer, everything looks like a nail.  We need as many tools as we can get when it comes to our jobs, our relationships, our business endeavors.  In fact, we need all the help we can get with pretty much every aspect of life.
Those who follow Jesus have a powerful tool.  We can pray.  If you think that prayer is a quick, rhyming recitation before meals, think again.  Prayer is direct and intimate contact with God.  I would have to buy a ticket, wait in line, or pull strings to get even a few minutes with those who have power in this world.  With God, I can go to the head of the line at the blink of an eye.  In fact, He wants me to involve Him in my life.
So what are you waiting for?  If you have “done your prayer time” and are now struggling with the day, stop and go back to prayer.  The challenge in front of you does not have to be dealt with by your own strength.  In fact, it cannot be handled that way.   You have a powerful tool in the bag.  Use it.

Jesus, I need to stay in constant contact with You today.  We both know I have a tendency to charge off on my own.  Help me to stay grounded in You, laying everything before You and acting only through Your strength.  Amen.

Copyright © 2013 by Steven R. Perkins

No comments:

Post a Comment

While I welcome comments, even those that disagree with something I have written, I will delete any comment that is profane, vulgar, threatening, or in poor taste.