Sunday, August 18, 2013

August 18 (Matthew 10:38-39)

And whoever does not take his cross and follow me is not worthy of me.  Whoever finds his life will lose it, and whoever loses his life for my sake will find it.  (ESV)
Jesus makes it abundantly clear that following Him will cost us something.  In fact, He makes it clear that it will cost everything.  In the ancient world, saying to take up your cross would have been like saying today to strap into the electric chair.  Now, this kind of absolute call can seem like a romantic notion.  It is the call to dangerous adventure.  There is something deep within us that wants to be called to a life like this.  In fact, that is how God made us.
The problem is that most of us are cowards.  Think of the movie Braveheart.  We like to think of ourselves as the hero, William Wallace.  We are actually more like the coward and traitor Robert the Bruce.  Perhaps this is why Jesus was so upfront in telling us the cost of following Him.  He does not want us backing out and claiming that we never knew it would cost so much.
So are you willing?  Are you willing to give everything to follow Him?  Are you ready to give it all again tomorrow and the next day and the day after that?  Are you prepared to follow Him all the way to Calvary?
Jesus, it is easy to follow You when I think about how You care for me the way a shepherd cares for His sheep.  Grant me the grace to follow You even when those around me are shouting, “Crucify!”  In Your holy name I pray.  Amen.
Copyright © 2013 by Steven R. Perkins

No comments:

Post a Comment

While I welcome comments, even those that disagree with something I have written, I will delete any comment that is profane, vulgar, threatening, or in poor taste.